Note: Ancestry.com is a reference database that you can use at Central Library or one of our branches.
List of SLPL reference databases that can be used remotely:
While you, too, may have already discovered Ancestry.com’s Card Catalog, there’s an even easier way to discover databases within Ancestry that are specific for a particular state or county. Allow me to introduce you to Ancestry’s Family History Research Pages:
Family History Research Pages
The link above takes you to the start page for USA specific databases. In the right-hand navigation bar is a dialogue box that says “Select another state or region.” Click on “USA”, and you’ll be able to select a different continent of interest. Or, you can click “Select” (next to “USA”) and select a state of interest. Go ahead and select “Missouri”.
On the left-hand side of the screen, you’ll see a list of databases containing Missouri-specific records. The list is organized by category:
* Missouri Census & Voter Lists
* Missouri Birth, Marriage, & Death
* Missouri Military
* Missouri Immigration & Travel
* Missouri Newspapers & Publications
* Missouri Pictures
* Missouri School, Directories, Church Histories
* Missouri Tax, Criminal, Land, & Wills
* Missouri Reference, Dictionaries, & Almanacs
* Missouri Maps, Atlases, & Gazetteers
* Missouri Stories, Memories & Histories
The right-hand navigation bar shows a list of Missouri counties for which Ancestry.com provides access to one or more unique databases. Click on “St. Louis” and you’ll see a list of 16 databases in four categories.
The right-hand navigation bar also includes buttons you can click to see:
* Missouri Message Boards
* Missouri Member Directory
The Message Boards feature queries members have made about Missouri ancestors, while the Member Directory lists Ancestry.com members whose Public Profiles mention an interest in Missouri ancestors. The Member Directory provides user name; research interests; length of Ancestry.com membership; and contact info.
Finally, at the bottom of the page are links to:
* Contact Info
* Ancestry.com blog
* Gift Membership (you can give a non-renewing one-time membership to a family member or friend for terms of 6 months or one year)
* Careers with Ancestry.com